- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced in a mini-chopper
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced in a mini-chopper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 10 (curly-edged) lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese (part-skim is fine)
- 3 Tbs chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Brown the ground beef in a 12-inch nonstick, oven-proof skillet over medium heat and drain the fat. Add the onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning and cook until fragrant. Add the cans of tomatoes and simmer.
Cook the pasta according to the directions then add to the skillet and stir together adding a small amount of water if needed. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until well-heated.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.
Remove the skillet from heat, and stir in half the mozzarella and parmesan, and 1/4 cup of the ricotta. Dot the remaining ricotta over the noodles in tablespoons, then sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Transfer to the oven and broil until the cheese melts and is starting to brown. Remove from oven, sprinkle with basil, and serve.